Despite the increase in alternative payment methods (iDeal in the Netherlands, Bancontact/MisterCash in Belgium, etc.), paying by card still is the most popular option in many countries around the world for online payments.
Lemon Way can accept Visa, as well as MasterCard cards.
Card payment has, like any payment method, advantages and disadvantages, as detailed below:
• Very common payment method and generally within easy reach of cardholder
• Online card payment does not require any code (all required information is on the card itself - card number, expiry date, CVV number)
• Secured payment method, with possibility of strong authentication - 3D Secure
• Real time crediting on your Enterprise environment vs. asynchronous payment instruments (bank transfer, direct debit, etc.)
• Possibility to “rebill” a card that has already been used/useful when it comes to subscription-based business models (same principle as direct debit)
• Possibility to perform a card pre-authorization/useful for some business models (ex: boat rental involving a deposit, final amount of a service unknown at service subscription)
• Limited amount/card limit
• Risk of fraud (card/card data theft, fraudulent behavior, etc.) and card chargeback possible up to 13 months following the date of the original transaction
• 3D Secure potentially leading to higher cart abandonment rates (ergonomic/UX, breach in the conversion tunnel)
• Card rebill: card expired/opposed vs. direct debit
Lemon Way Enterprise offer card payment standard scheme/main steps are detailed below:
• Once your client validates his/her cart on your website/application, he/she can click on the payment button
• The click generates a MoneyInWebInit (in which you can define the beneficiary payment account, define if you want the card to be registered/tokenized, if the transaction corresponds to a pre-authorization, etc.) and creates the card transaction in the Pending status in your Enterprise environment (Type = Incoming/Method = Card/Status = Pending)
• This click also generates the opening of the payment page of one of our PSPs, where your client can enter his/her card details (card scheme, card number, expiry date, CVV code) and then submit the payment
• The transaction initially created with the MoneyInWebInit is then updated with the information from the card (4 first & last 2 digits of the card number, issuing country, etc.), the status of the transaction is modified, and Lemon Way commissions are taken (only when the transaction is in the Success status)
• Your client is then redirected to the page indicated during the MoneyInWebInit
If card payment is not yet included in your contract and if you want to activate it, don’t hesitate to contact us (Submit a New Request button located in the Header of the Lemon Way Support Center), and specify your projected volumes as well as estimated average transaction amounts, so that one of our Fantastic Business Developers can get back to you with a pricing proposal.
For more information on how to use payment instruments offered by Lemon Way, take a look at the dedicated topic, here