How it works
The payer issues their check to Lemonway (or to you) and sends it to you or directly to Lemonway with your company name on the back of the check. The payer must also enter the external ID of their payment account on the back of the check or the ID of the operation if the check is pre-registered in the dashboard.
We then control each of the checks:
- Check validity (signature, date of less than 12 months, city, amount and beneficiary)
- Consistency of the amount in figures and words. If there is a difference, the amount entered in full will be retained by the bank, and it is, therefore, this amount that we will enter in the relevant payment account
- Presence of the external ID of the payment account on the back of the check
- Presence of the transaction ID on the back of the check (for pre-entered checks in your environment)
- Correspondence between the name of the issuer of the check and the holder of the payment account to be credited
In the case of a joint account
- A check issued from the joint bank account of A and B can be credited to the payment account of A, the payment account of B, or the joint payment account of A and B.
- A check issued from A's bank account can be credited to A's payment account or to A and B's joint payment account
What to do in the event of an anomaly
In the event of an anomaly detected, the check is set aside and then either destroyed or debited if the anomaly can be corrected. The cases of blocking anomalies are:
- Partially torn check (example: truncated check number)
- No order or amount
- No signature
- Incorrect date
- Cross out on the check
- No mention of Lemonway (and the impossibility of adding the mention)
Main statuses of a check
Checks can have multiple statuses:
- ✅ Completed: the transaction was successful and the transaction amount is credited to the target payment account, increasing the account balance
- 💬 Pending: the transaction has not been credited to the target payment account, but that it could still potentially change to a Completed or Error status. In this case, the check has been processed by Lemonway and is being processed by our banking partner. The transaction status will change to Completed once the check is actually credited to Lemonway's bank account.
The check issuer has to be the titular of the Lemonway wallet.
My customer says they have been debited but the transaction is not showing as completed
In very rare cases (a bug in the bank information forwarded to Lemonway), a check that has actually been debited from your customer's account may appear in your dashboard as pending or error.
If this happens, get in touch 👉 with us with the information listed below:
- The amount of the check
- The check number
- A proof of debit from the client's bank account
Refund a payment by check
Payments by check cannot be refunded. In this case, you will need to issue an outgoing transfer.